From Bad Wimpfen to Koblenz by Bike and Boat // MS Patria 2019
individual tour | 8 days / 7 nights
On Neckar and Rhine
Is the Neckar more picturesque at Marbach, the birthplace of the writer and poem Schiller, or perhaps at the Odenwald, which the river flows through? Maybe you prefer “Father Rhine”, which is associated with the famous Nibelungen saga, the Lorely rock, and numerous museums in Mainz or the famous city of Heidelberg? After you have returned home, you will enjoy browsing your photos: of course Heidelberg with its magnificent Castle, the narrow streets of the old town centers of Eberbach and Koblenz, which are just a few of the highlights of this trip along the Rhine and the Neckar. Every photo revives your pleasant memories. What more could you expect from such a wonderful trip? The quality of cycling tracks is very good: usually you will cycle on paved tracks along the rivers without any gradients of note. This makes the trip also suitable for relatively unpractised cyclists. You will live and travel on board the MS PATRIA, which has been a favourite ship for bike-boat holidays for many years.
Day 1: Arrival in Bad Wimpfen
Embarkation as from 4 p.m., the crew will welcome you on board. You will spend the evening and first night in Bad Wimpfen.
Day 2: Bad Wimpfen – Eberbach, Cycle tour approx. 45 km
By bike to Neckarzimmern, from here you can go on foot or by bike to the castle Burg Hornberg, where Götz von Berlichingen once lived. Continue your bike tour to the old picturesque town of Eberbach.
Day 3: Eberbach – Heidelberg, Cycle tour approx. 34 km
The first destination: Hirschhorn, the “Pearl of the Neckar valley”. You cycle through the Odenwald to Neckarsteinach, then via Ziegelhausen to Heidelberg. A walk through the old town and a visit to the castle are highly recommended.
Day 4: Heidelberg – Mannheim, Cycle tour approx. 25 km | Boat tour Mannheim – Nierstein
You start your cycle tour in Heidelberg, cross the Neckar and have a perfect view to Heidelberg and its castle. Further on by bike to Mannheim and leave the valleys of the Neckar behind. The ship is waiting for you in Mannheim and takes you during lunch to Nierstein, a popular destination for exploring the vineyards with a tractor wagon.
Day 5: Nierstein – Mainz, cycle tour approx. 17 - 26 km
From the biggest vine growing community on the river Rhine you cycle to Mainz. Romance, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque - today you will explore the city of Mainz.
Day 6: Mainz – Rüdesheim, cycle tour approx. 32 - 35 km
Picturesque houses and the beautiful landscape along the way from Mainz to Rüdesheim make your bike tour an experience. The heart of Rüdesheim's old town is a meeting place for locals and visitors from all over the world. Overnight stay in Rüdesheim or in Bingen.
Day 7: Rüdesheim – Boppard, cycle tour approx. 46 km | Boat tour Boppard – Koblenz
Cycle on the left river bank to Boppard and enjoy the panoramic view of the unforgettable Upper Middle Rhine Valley, a UNESCO Word Heritage site. On your way, you will pass castles and burgs alongside the celebrated Rock of Lorely. In the afternoon, MS PATRIA takes you to Koblenz where the rivers Rhine and Moselle meet.
Day 8: Departure from Koblenz
After breakfast disembarkation until 09:00 am. Individual journey home.
|May 16, 2020 - May 23, 2020||On request||Book|
|Jul 11, 2020 - Jul 18, 2020||Available||Book|
|Sep 5, 2020 - Sep 12, 2020||Sold out||Book|
|Cabins||Main deck||Above deck|
|2-bed cabin for one person||1.254,-||1.419,-|
Transfer back to Koblenz:
Travelling by train takes about 3.5 hours, approx. € 45,- per person (your tour guide will assist you with buying the tickets) or transfer by mini bus (minimum 4 persons), approx. € 85,- per person (own bikes will be carried for an extra charge of € 15,- per bike). Limited space, reservation for the transfer bus required in advance, to be paid on spot.
All prices per person in EUR
- 7 nights in outside cabin on MS PATRIA with private facilities and air condition
- Programme according itinerary
- Port fees included
- Captains greeting and Welcome drinks
- Daily cabin cleaning, Changing of towels and bed cloths if wanted
- Full board: 7x breakfast, 6x light lunch on board (non cyclists) or packed lunch for cyclists, 6x afternoon coffee break, 7x dinner
- Daily information meeting
- Information pack with route book (one per cabin)
- GPS tracks
- SE-Tours Tour guide on board (does not cycle with group)
Services not included:
Arrival and departure, transfers to/from the docking place in Bad Wimpfen/Koblenz, bike rental, ferry fares, travel insurances, parking fee, drinks on board, tips.
• Embarkation: from 4:00 p.m.
• Disembarkation: until 9:00 a.m.
• Bike Hire on Board: smooth-running 7 speed - unisex- city bikes (custom built for SE-Tours) with hand- and back pedal brakes or with free-wheel hub (please indicate upon booking) and pannier bags. Electric bikes (limited availability – timely booking required) Please inform us about your body height upon booking.
• To bring your own bike: on request only – due to lack of space on sundeck. Storage of bikes inside the ship is not possible.
• Cycle Tours: unguided. You will cycle between 17 and 46 km per day. The kilometres indicated for the suggested cycle tours are approximate.
• Cycle routes/ level of difficulty: The quality of the cycle ways along the route is excellent. Most of the stretches are paved or asphalted, and lead alongside the Rhine dikes without any gradients of note. This makes the trip suitable even for unpractised cyclist.
• Optional Excursions: tour legs and the ship‘s time in port permitting, an optional excursion programme will be organised. Excursions can only be booked and paid (in cash) aboard the ship.
• Luggage on board: We recommend waterproof rain gear, bike helmet, sun hat and sports shoes. We would like to ask you to do without hard-side luggage, as storage space in the cabin is very limited!
• Alterations of schedule or programme: Subject to change. If a route cannot be shipped as a result of low or high water or bad weather, the captain reserves the right to change the route in view of your safety (this will not be accepted as a reason for free withdrawal).
• Travel documents: EU-citizens (without special situations like dual citizenship, main residence abroad or a limited-validity passport) are required to have a valid passport or ID-card, not expiring within six (6) months of the return of your cruise. We kindly ask non-EU citizens, EU-nationals with multiple citizenship or anybody who has to respect special legal entry requirements for the country to visit, to inform about visa and entry documents at the competent embassy.
• This trip is not suitable for guests with reduced mobility.