From Flanders to Holland by bike and barge // MS Magnifique II 2020
individual tour | 8 days / 7 nights
From Bruges to Amsterdam
During this tour some of the most beautiful cities of Holland and Flanders are highlighted: Amsterdam, Antwerp, Ghent and Bruges, where you still can feel the charm of the days long gone. After embarkation in Amsterdam you will cross through a beautiful part of the Netherlands. After a short cruise with the ship, you bike along the winding small river Vecht with its impressive mansions and country houses on its banks. In Kinderdijk you see the impressive 19 Dutch windmills.
Via Dordrecht and the fortified town of Willemstad, the ship cruises through the “Delta” Province of Zeeland to Belgium. You will spend the night in Antwerp, the city of Rubens, whose paintings can be admired in the cathedral. You will cycle from Antwerp to Ghent along the beautiful tidal river Lower Schelde. Destination of your tour is Bruges, the “Pearl of Flanders” with its picturesque medieval town centre.
Day 1: Arrival / embarkation in Bruges (bike tour approx. 11 km / 6 mi)
Arrival and embarkation time between 1 pm and 1.30 pm in the beautiful city of Bruges, also called “Pearl of Flanders”. After a welcome meeting with the crew at 2 pm there is time for a short test-ride through the countryside around Bruges. After dinner the tour leader will take you for a walk through the city centre. Dinner on board.
Day 2: Bruges – Ghent-Merelbeke (bike tour approx. 35 - 57 km / 21 - 36 mi)
Today your first bike tour to Ghent through the flat land of West-Flanders will start. Your destination today is the historical centre of Ghent. Enjoy the beautiful parts of Ghent during an afternoon stroll. The barge is docked at a lock in Merelbeke, in a suburb of Thent and approx. 30 cycling minutes from the city centre. Dinner on board.
Day 3: Ghent-Merelbeke – Dendermonde/St. Amands (bike tour approx. 40 – 53 km / 24 - 32 mi)
Your bike tour leads along one of the most beautiful parts of the Schelde, a tidal river, today. You will follow it downstream. In Dendermonde it is worth visiting the St. Alexius Beguinage (1288). The departure time will be set by the skipper and is depending on high or low tide as the tide has effect on the speed of the barge. If necessary, shipping to St. Amands and overnight stay in St. Amands. Dinner on board.
Day 4: Dendermonde/St. Amands – Temse – Antwerp (bike tour approx. 32 - 49 km / 19 - 31 mi)
Today we will follow the Schelde further downstream via Temse to Antwerp. There is a beautiful cycling track along the river and the scenery is magnificent. The harbour city Antwerp with it´s beautiful inner city is well known as diamond city and the city where the famous painter Rubens was born. Dinner will be in town in a restaurant of your choice (not inclusive, recommendations available on board).
Day 5: Antwerp – Kreekrak locks – Tholen – Dordrecht (bike tour approx. 20 - 36 km / 13 - 23 mi)
The barge will sail over the Schelde-Rhine Canal, over the huge Kreekrak locks. Here your bicycle tour starts through the beautiful “Wouwse Plantage” forest to Tholen, a former fishing village amidst the large streams of the province of Zeeland. From Tholen you will join the ship again for a nice afternoon sail to Dordrecht. Halfway the ship pass the impressive Volkerak lock system. Dinner on board.
Day 6: Dordrecht – Kinderdijk – Schoonhoven – Vianen (bike tour approx. 32 – 57 km / 19 - 36 mi)
Today you will start your tour with the waterbus, a fast ferry that will take you and your bike in just 10 minutes to Alblasserdam. From here you will cycle to Kinderdijk, famous for its impressive row of 19 UNESCO cultural heritage-listed windmills. You will continue via Schoonhoven to Vianen, a small fortified town on the river Lek. Dinner on board.
Day 7: Vianen – Breukelen – Amsterdam (Bike tour approx. 36 - 46 km / 23 – 29 mi)
Shipping to Breukelen, where you disembark and your cycling tour starts. Ride along the small river Vecht: this area is well known for its beautiful mansions, small castles and beautiful houses with large gardens and parks. Over the small villages of Nieuwersluis, Loenen and Vreeland to Nigtevecht, where you can visit a traditional cheese farm. Continue cycling through the historical town of Muiden and on to Amsterdam where you will meet the barge for the final time in the Amsterdam harbour. Dinner on board.
Day 8: Amsterdam
After breakfast: end of the tour and disembarkation till 09:30 am.
The cycling paths in Holland and Belgium are very flat and well maintained. The routes are suitable for untrained cyclists.
Arrival datesSeason 1
|Oct 14, 2020 - Oct 21, 2020||On request||Book|
|May 13, 2020 - May 20, 2020||On request||Book|
|May 27, 2020 - Jun 3, 2020||On request||Book|
|Jun 10, 2020 - Jun 17, 2020||On request||Book|
|Jun 24, 2020 - Jul 1, 2020||On request||Book|
|Jul 22, 2020 - Jul 29, 2020||On request||Book|
|Aug 5, 2020 - Aug 12, 2020||On request||Book|
|Aug 19, 2020 - Aug 26, 2020||On request||Book|
|Sep 16, 2020 - Sep 23, 2020||On request||Book|
|Sep 30, 2020 - Oct 7, 2020||On request||Book|
|Cabins||Season 1||Season 2|
|2-Bett-Kabine Premium (1x)||1.379,-||1.479,-|
|Suite 2-bed cabin upper deck||1.679,-||1.779,-|
|2-Bett Kabine zur Alleinbenutzung (begrenzt)||1768,50||1918,50|
|Suite 3-bed cabin upper deck||1.579,-||1.679,-|
|Leihgebühr für ein 7-Gang-Unisexfahrrad mit Hand- und Rücktrittbremse oder Freilauf (nach Ver-fügbarkeit), Helm, wiederauffüllbare Wasserflasche und Gepäckträgertasche||85,-||85,-|
|Elektrofahrrad mit Freilauf (gegen Voranmeldung, begrenzte Anzahl)||185,-||185,-|
Passenger car parking options in Bruges:
Guarded parking areas at the main station (Stationsplein), approx. 5-7 € per day. No reservation possible. Transfer by taxi from Stationsplein to ship berth approx. 15-25 €.
Return transfer by train from Amsterdam to Bruges approx. 40 € per person.
(subject to change)
All prices per person in EUR
- 7 nights tour and accommodation on board of MS Magnifique II in the booked category
- Program according to the routing
- Welcome drink
- Meals: (7 x breakfast, 6 x picnic lunch during bike tours, coffee and tea on board, 6 x 3 course dinner)
- Daily cabin cleaning
- Use of linen and towels
- Daily briefing on the respective bike tours
- Tour guide for guided bike tours (for 18 persons or more two tour guides)
- All charges for harbours, bridges and locks
- Printed instructions and detailed maps for daily bike tours (deposited on board, 1 per cabin)
- Fees for ferries
- Entrance fees for Kinderdijk Mills, cathedral Antwerp
- Canal trip Gent
Journey to Bruges and from Amsterdam, parking fee, shuttles, bike rental, entrance fees and excursions
(not mentioned under inclusions), town maps, tips, insurances, drinks on board, dinner on board in Bruges.
• Embarkation: from 1.00 pm to 1.30 pm
• Disembarkation: After breakfast, until 09:30 am
• Bicycles on board (brand/model may change): Velo de Ville unisex bicycles, 7 gears, pannier bag, pedal and/or hand brakes. E-Bikes (Velo de ville, hand brakes only, pannier bag) are only available after prior request (by booking) and confirmation and at limited number. Please indicate your body height when you book. To bring your own bike: on request only, due to lack of space on sundeck
• Cycle Tours: individual tours or daily guided bike tours by one guide (for 18 persons or more two guides). If there are two guides on board you can often choose between a shorter and a longer tour. Not all mentioned highlights will be visited during the short bicycle option. It is also possible to ride the bike tours individually. Tour description and maps are available on board. The kilometers/miles indicated for the cycle tours are approximate. The quality of the cycle ways along this route is excellent. Most of the way is paved or asphalted and does not have any gradients of note. This makes the trip suitable for cyclists with an average physical condition.
• Language on board: English, Dutch, German
• Luggage on board: we recommend waterproof rain gear, bike helmet, sun hat and sports shoes.
• Alterations of schedule or program: subject to change. In case that as a result of nautical, technical or meteorological reasons a route cannot be taken, the skipper reserves the right to change the route for your safety (this would not be a rea-son for fee-free cancellation)
• Travel documents: EU-citizens (without special situations like dual citizenship, main residence abroad or a limited-validity passport) are required to have a valid passport or ID-card, not expiring within six (6) months of the return of your cruise. We kindly ask non-EU citizens, EU-nationals with multiple citizenship or anybody who has to respect special legal entry requirements for the country to visit, to inform about visa and entry documents at the competent embassy.
• This trip is not suitable for guests with reduced mobility.