With Bike and Barge from Mainz to Strasbourg (Kehl) - MS OLYMPIA
"The Rhine kisses the Neckar”
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self guided
Arrival to Mainz
Individual arrival to Mainz. Embarkation will be from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. There may be time to explore the capital of Rhineland-Palatinate with its lovingly restored half-timbered houses and the Romanesque Cathedral of Saint Martin.
Mainz - Nierstein, Cycle Tour approx. 20 km / Boat Tour Nierstein - Worms
A short cycle leg and plenty of time for one to indulge oneself: Cycle on the Rhine Cycle Route with its well-paved cycle ways directly alongside the Rhine to Nierstein. With almost 1,000 Hectare of viticulture area, Nierstein is home to the largest wine-growing community on the Rhine. Visit the historic Old Town with its medieval market square and the noble houses. In the afternoon, sail from Nierstein to Worms. Guests, who would like to cycle a longer stretch, can start the bike ride already in Mainz. (cycle tour Mainz-Worms approx. 60 km).
Worms - Heidelberg, Cycle Tour approx. 45 km
In the imperial city of Worms, you start for today’s tour leg. From Mannheim, you follow the course of the marvellous Neckar River up to Heidelberg. The Roman city of Ladenburg with its historic Old Town is well worth a stop-off. The ruin of Heidelberg Castle can be seen already from afar and towers over the city of Heidelberg, today’s destination. Admire the famous Heidelberg red sandstone bridge or take a stroll through the narrow lanes and see the picturesque squares.
Heidelberg - Mannheim, Cycle Tour approx. 47 km
Via Eppelheim and Plankstadt, cycle today through the core of the region “Kurpfalz”. Schwetzingen Castle and its gorgeous castle garden is just one reason to visit this charming town. From there the route leads you to today’s destination, Mannheim. Almost all sights of the city, like the water tower and Mannheim Baroque Palace, are only a few minutes walking distance away from the city centre and are well worth visiting.
Mannheim - Speyer; Cycle Tour approx. 20 km
Alongside the numerous oxbow lakes of the Old Rhine leads the way to today’s destination – the cathedral city of Speyer. Enjoy the short bike ride through unspoilt nature, areas that are designated Natural Nature Reserves and natural flood plains. The Speyer Cathedral was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1981.
Speyer - Germersheim, Cycle Tour approx. 25 km / Boat tour Germersheim - Plittersdorf
By bike, continue your tour through the Palatinate region past oxbow lakes and untouched nature. Look forward to visiting the old fortified town of Germersheim with its numerous picturesque lanes, corners and squares. During dinner your ship moves on to Plittersdorf where you stay for the night.
Plittersdorf – Gambsheim/Freistett, Cycle Tour approx. 40 km / Boat tour Gambsheim - Strasbourg (Kehl)
On your last cycle stretch, cycle in an easy pace directly alongside the river through the gentle Rhine plain until you reach the lock station of Gambsheim/Freistett. Your ship waits for you to bring you to Kehl connected by a bridge to the capital of the Alsace, the city of Strasbourg with its countless canals. If you feel like it you have the possibility to stroll to the Strasbourg Minster, the landmark of the city, through the picturesque tanners’ quarter with its small historic half-timbered houses and enjoy a piece of French lust for life while the end of your journey approaches. If you like you can cycle the whole tour to Kehl (cycle tour Plittersdorf – Kehl approx. 60 km).
Departure from Strasburg (Kehl)
After breakfast disembarkation until 9:00 a.m. Individual journey home.
The quality of the cycle ways along the route is excellent. Most of the stretches are paved or asphalted, and lead alongside the Rhine dikes without any gradients of note. This makes the trip suitable even for unpractised cyclist.
- 7 nights in outside cabins on MS OLYMPIA with private facilities and air condition
- Programme according itinerary
- Port fees included
- Captains greeting and Welcome drink
- Daily cabin cleaning, Changing of towels and bed cloths if wanted
- Full meals: 7x breakfast, 6x light lunch on board (non cyclists) or packed lunch for cyclists, 6x afternoon coffee break, 7x dinner
- Daily informational meeting
- Information pack with route book (one per cabin)
- SE-Tours Tour guide on board (does not cycle with group)
Journey to Mainz and from Strasbourg, shuttles, entrance fees and excursions, bike rental, ferry fares, travel insurances, parking fee, drinks on board, tips.
Car Park facilities:
Car Park at the central station (unguarded, cannot be booked in advance) in Mainz. Parking fee approx.
€ 10,- per day.
• Embarkation: between 3:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. • Disembarkation: until 9:00 a.m. • Bike Hire on Board: smooth-running 7 speed - unisex- city bikes (custom built for SE-Tours) with hand- and back pedal brakes or with free-wheel hub (please indicate upon booking) and pannier bags. Electric bikes (limited availability – timely booking required) Please inform us about your body height upon booking. • To bring your own bike: on request only – due to lack of space on sundeck. Storage of bikes inside the ship is not possible. • Cycle Tours: unguided. You will cycle between 20 and 47 km per day. The kilometres indicated for the suggested cycle tours are approximate. • Cycle routes/ level of difficulty: The quality of the cycle ways along the route is excellent. Most of the stretches are paved or asphalted, and lead alongside the Rhine dikes without any gradients of note. This makes the trip suitable even for unpractised cyclist. • Optional Excursions: tour legs and the ship‘s time in port permitting, an optional excursion programme will be organised. Excursions can only be booked and paid (in cash) aboard the ship. • Luggage on board: We recommend waterproof rain gear, bike helmet, sun hat and sports shoes. We would like to ask you to do without hard-side luggage, as storage space in the cabin is very limited! • Alterations of schedule or programme: Subject to change. If a route cannot be shipped as a result of low or high water or bad weather, the captain reserves the right to change the route in view of your safety (this will not be accepted as a reason for free withdrawal). • Travel documents: EU-citizens (without special situations like dual citizenship, main residence abroad or a limited-validity passport) are required to have a valid passport or ID-card, not expiring within six (6) months of the return of your cruise. We kindly ask non-EU citizens, EU-nationals with multiple citizenship or anybody who has to respect special legal entry requirements for the country to visit, to inform about visa and entry documents at the competent embassy. • This trip is not suitable for guests with reduced mobility.
Minimum number of participants: 80 guests (must have been reached within 21 days prior to departure). You may cancel the booking at any time. For cancellation fees, please refer to the booking conditions of SE-Tours. The tour operator’s terms and conditions apply: SE-Tours GmbH, Am Grollhamm 12a, 27574 Bremerhaven. We recommend that you take out a travel health insurance with repatriation coverage as well as baggage, accident and travel cancellation insurances.
This tour has 1 more variation
Comfortable and cosy river ship with family environment. The ship was refurbished in 2015/2016. The panoramic salon with bar in gentlemen club-style and the bright and friendly restaurant are waiting for you to pass relaxing hours here. A spacious, partly shaded sun deck and storage space for bicycles.