With Bike and Barge from Mainz to Strasbourg (Kehl) - MS OLYMPIA
Dome cities and castle romance at Rhine and Neckar
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self guided
Mainz - Nierstein, Cycle Tour approx. 20 km / Boat Tour Nierstein - Worms
A short cycle leg and plenty of time for one to indulge oneself: Cycle on the Rhine Cycle Route with its well-paved cycle ways directly alongside the Rhine to Nierstein. With almost 1,000 Hectare of viticulture area, Nierstein is home to the largest wine-growing community on the Rhine. Visit the historic Old Town with its medieval market square and the noble houses. In the afternoon, sail from Nierstein to Worms. Guests, who would like to cycle a longer stretch, can start the bike ride already in Mainz. (cycle tour Mainz-Worms approx. 60 km).
Worms - Mannheim, Cycle Tour approx. 25 km
In the Imperial city of Worms, set off for today`s cycle leg. Enjoy riding through vast fields and meadows. The beautiful cycle trail across the Friesenheim Island offers a high contrast to the opposite Rhine bank dominated by the BASF plant. A few kilometres further on, you will reach the confluence of the rivers Rhine and Neckar in Mannheim, where your ship will already be waiting for you. Make the most of the afternoon, and take a stroll through Mannheim, the City of Squares, up to the Baroque castle.
Mannheim – Heidelberg – Mannheim, Cycle Tour approx. 60 km
Today, follow the course of the marvellous Neckar River up to Heidelberg. The ancient Roman city of Ladenburg with its historic Old Town is worth a short stop-over. Visible already from afar, the ruin of the Heidelberg Castle towers over the Old Town. Stroll across the famous Heidelberg Sandstone Bridge, or through the winding lanes and charming squares of the Old Town. Your way back leads through the heart of the Electoral Palatinate along the Kurpfalzruote cycle way to Schwetzingen Castle. The castle garden is a perfect place for a short break before continuing along the Rhine Cycle Route to Mannheim, where you reach back to the buzzing city life.
Mannheim - Speyer; Cycle Tour approx. 20 km
Alongside the numerous oxbow lakes of the Old Rhine leads the way to today’s destination – the cathedral city of Speyer. Enjoy the short bike ride through unspoilt nature, areas that are designated Natural Nature Reserves and natural flood plains. The Speyer Cathedral was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1981.
Speyer - Germersheim, Cycle Tour approx. 25 km / Boat tour Germersheim – Lock Gambsheim
Along the old Rhine ox-bow lakes cycle through the unspoilt nature of the Palatinate region. Look forward to visiting the old fortified city of Germersheim with its numerous quaint lanes, corners and squares. Enjoy the boat tour to Gambsheim while having a fine glass of wine on deck or in the saloon, replaying the events of the day.
Lock Gambsheim - Strasbourg, Cycle Tour approx. 25 km
On your last bike tour stretch, cycle in an easy pace directly alongside the river through the gentle Rhine plain until you reach the capital of the Alsace, the city of Strasbourg with its countless channels. Stroll to the Strasbourg Minster, the landmark of the city, through the picturesque Tanners’ Quarter with its small historic half-timbered houses and enjoy a piece of French joie de vivre while your journey slowly comes to an end.
Departure from Strasburg (Kehl)
After breakfast disembarkation until 9:00 a.m. Individual journey home.
The quality of the cycle ways along the route is excellent. Most of the stretches are paved or asphalted, and lead alongside the Rhine dikes without any gradients of note. This makes the trip suitable even for unpractised cyclist.
| Season 1 |
04.06.2022 | 24.09.2022 |
|The Rhine kisses the Neckar, MS Olympia, Mainz-Strasbourg (Kehl), upper deck, DE-RHSMS-08I-O|
|Base price|| |
|2-bed cabin in single use||1,798.50|
|2-bed cabin astern||1,149.00|
|The Rhine kisses the Neckar, MS Olympia, Mainz-Strasbourg (Kehl), main deck, DE-RHSMS-08I-H|
|Base price|| |
|2-bed cabin in single use||1,299.00|
- 7 nights in outside cabins on MS OLYMPIA with private facilities and air condition
- Programme according itinerary
- Port fees included
- Captains greeting and Welcome drink
- Daily cabin cleaning, Changing of towels and bed cloths if wanted
- Full meals: 7x breakfast, 6x light lunch on board (non cyclists) or packed lunch for cyclists, 6x afternoon coffee break, 7x dinner
- Daily informational meeting
- Information pack with route book (one per cabin)
- SE-Tours Tour guide on board (does not cycle with group)
Journey to Mainz and from Strasbourg, shuttles, entrance fees and excursions, bike rental, ferry fares, travel insurances, parking fee, drinks on board, tips.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, there may be restrictions on board. These are temporary, government-mandated restrictions that may vary regionally.
Due to the current Covid-19 situation, the „2G regulation“ (2G in German: „geimpft“ (vaccinated) or „genesen“ (recovered)) applies with immediate effect to all our tours for the season 2022.
This means that the participation in our own charters for Bike & Barge Tours (Original tours) is only possible for fully vaccinated and recovered guests.
In case the general conditions improve considerably in the course of 2022, the authorities withdraw the requirements and make travelling without proof of vaccination and convalescence possible again, we will adapt accordingly.
If a proof (vaccinated or recovered) cannot be provided at embarkation, we explicitly point out that we are entitled to charge cancellation fees in accordance with our travel conditions.
For the safety of all persons present on board, you are obliged to wear a mouth and nose protector and to observe the rules of distance and hygiene. For this purpose, you will receive our ship-specific hygiene concept when booking/inquiring.
Car Park facilities:
Car Park at the central station (unguarded, cannot be booked in advance) in Mainz. Parking fee approx.
€ 10,- per day.
- 7-gear-Unisex-trekking bikes und 8-gear-E-Bikes (brand: Velo de Ville - special SE-Tours edition)
- With hand brake and pedal brake or hand brakes only (subject to availability, please indicate as a non-binding customer request by the booking)
- Pannier bag and rental bike insurance included.
- E-Bikes on a limited number only
- Please indicate your body height by the booking
Travel safe and secure with SE-Tours: We recommend to wear a bike. Onboard Selling: UVEX I-VO € 40.00 per helmet, limited number
• Embarkation: between 3:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. • Disembarkation: from 9:30 a.m. • To bring your own bike: on request only – due to lack of space on sundeck. Storage of bikes inside the ship is not possible. • Cycle Tours: unguided. You will cycle between 20 and 47 km per day. The kilometres indicated for the suggested cycle tours are approximate. • Cycle routes/ level of difficulty: The quality of the cycle ways along the route is excellent. Most of the stretches are paved or asphalted, and lead alongside the Rhine dikes without any gradients of note. This makes the trip suitable even for unpractised cyclist. • Optional Excursions: tour legs and the ship‘s time in port permitting, an optional excursion programme will be organised. Excursions can only be booked and paid (in cash) aboard the ship. • Luggage on board: We recommend waterproof rain gear, bike helmet, sun hat and sports shoes. We would like to ask you to do without hard-side luggage, as storage space in the cabin is very limited! • Alterations of schedule or programme: Subject to change. If a route cannot be shipped as a result of low or high water or bad weather, the captain reserves the right to change the route in view of your safety (this will not be accepted as a reason for free withdrawal). • Travel documents: EU-citizens (without special situations like dual citizenship, main residence abroad or a limited-validity passport) are required to have a valid passport or ID-card, not expiring within six (6) months of the return of your cruise. We kindly ask non-EU citizens, EU-nationals with multiple citizenship or anybody who has to respect special legal entry requirements for the country to visit, to inform about visa and entry documents at the competent embassy. • This trip is not suitable for guests with reduced mobility.
Minimum number of participants: 75 guests (must have been reached within 21 days prior to departure). You may cancel the booking at any time. For cancellation fees, please refer to the booking conditions of SE-Tours. The tour operator’s terms and conditions apply: SE-Tours GmbH, Am Grollhamm 12a, 27574 Bremerhaven. We recommend that you take out a travel health insurance with repatriation coverage as well as baggage, accident and travel cancellation insurances.
This tour has 1 more variation
Comfortable and cosy river ship with family environment. The ship was refurbished in 2015/2016. The panoramic salon with bar in gentlemen club-style and the bright and friendly restaurant are waiting for you to pass relaxing hours here. A spacious, partly shaded sun deck and storage space for bicycles.